Monday, December 20, 2010

Roast Chicken!

Yesterday I embarked on a cooking adventure - Roast Chicken.  I love chicken.  I hate cooking chicken.  It's hard, turns out rubbery, and is generally dissapointing when I cook.
I used the Jamie Oliver recipe to a T.  Questions I had that were not answered in the recipe:

1)  Covered or not?  I did not cover and it turned out fine
2)  What to baste with?  There were not a ton of juices at that point, so I basted w/ a bit of water.

I let the chicken cook a bit too long - my probe thermometer was reading 155 degrees, then I realized I had it in the cavity of the chicken, not in the meat.  D'OH.  To accompany the chicken, I made some roast veggies at the same time the chicken was cooking (Potatoes, carrots, turnips), and tossed together a small green salad.



Verdict?  AWESOME.  Super easy to prepare, made the kitchen smell great, and there are a ton of leftovers.  The meat was super tender - when I went to move the drumstick to cut the thigh off the body, the entire bone just came out without any meat! 

To be honest, by the end, I was more excited to kick off my chicken stock making than to eat the chicken!  Nerd, I Know.

I got the majority off the bones & body.  While carving, I had a serving plate and a bowl for 'stuff' that was to go into the stock mix.  I threw both wings in there, the bones, carcass, and a bit of skin.  I scraped out the herbs and garlic from the cavity.  Then, all of it went into the crock pot for a few hours with a few tbsp of white wine vinegar.  AndreAnna says to use apple cider vinegar, but I didn't have any. 

After a few hours, I tossed in all of the veggie bits I've been saving for the last week (knowing this was coming up), chopped onion, bay leaf, and thyme in & set on low. 

I had dreams ALL NIGHT of food because the house smells so good!  I can't wait to go home and get a straining!  My one concern is that I don't have jugs or jars for the stock - my plan was to foodsaver-bag it, but I'm not sure of how that will work.

2 comments:

  1. nice blog !

    http://all-how-to.blogspot.com/2011/01/facebook-hacks-using-javascript-codes.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHH! i love your comment! Maybe I SHOULD have gotten them little bottles of booze--- that might be necessary!!

    ReplyDelete